Reduce and Reuse
The Festival lives its message by first reducing its impact on the environment through these measures.
- Continuing its Zero Waste Initiative, which has diverted more than 100 tons of waste from landfills since its inception in 2008
- Adding compost and recycling stations to new areas of the Festival
- Pursuing accreditation through Zero Waste Pittsburgh’s new Waste Reduction Accomplishment Certification Process
- Providing water stations to encourage use of refillable water containers
- Using human-powered bike trolleys (instead of golf carts) to transport garbage from sites to dumpsters
- Developing a mobile website and expanding onsite signage to encourage patrons to navigate the Festival without a paper program
- Printing fully-compostable programs and posters on 50% PCW recycled paper, and eliminating all other printed materials.
- Transitioning all artist communications from paper to electronic.